Monthly Archives: May 2015

Log Entry 31st May 2015

Well with time on our hands I decided to find out if you can publish a gps track. The answer is yes and if I have exported our track files correctly here is the summary of last years adventure:

And with that all our favourite anchorages are recorded for all to see, and some evidence you can sail the solent without incurring expensive mooring fees ­čÖé

Log Entry 30th May 2015

We we are still tied up awaiting a fair wind ( or even close), to head south – it’s either too much or the wrong direction.┬á In fairness we have still been finishing preparations, which after checking the lights included a trip up the mast to sort out the anchor light.┬á As anybody that knows me, heights do nothing for me so climbing up using the ‘mast climber’ was quite an achievement.┬á I had thought of asking / commissioning someone to do it, but I guess if you want to call yourself a skipper you need to do it at least once. Anyway the funny thing was having reached the top, parted the lens from the mount it was clear the light was actually on !┬á Just goes to show you should conduct the tests at night or when the sun is not shinning. Oh and the reason there is no picture was fear, and the crew was asked not to leave their post of tailing the safetly line.

Log Entry 18th May 2015

Finally lifted in yesterday …..

Work done over winter included:

– New shower pump

– Installation of NMEA 2000 network to allow for data to be picked up by a new Raymarine plotter (a65) which does not support NMEA 0183 input.

– New panels for 12v and 5v out put to support charging and powering of various devices.

– New double Yankee of thicker material (up to force 6/7)

– Plastic pipe fitted on guard rails to reduce chaffing on main sheet (also replaced).

– Insulators fitted on shroud to act as antenna for DSC HF.

– We both successfully completed long range radio course.

– Raspberry pi fitted with OpenCPN installed for anchor watch (trials now required)

– New binoculars with compass to bearings to be taken more easily.

– Spares for paraffin cooker sourced.

– Scrapes to gel coat filled and faired with a ‘reasonable’ blend to original colour.

– New rudder pin on Hydrovane rudder

– New oil lamp to coach roof

– New impeller fitted to raw water engine pump

In addition there was of course the routine, clean and polish hull, application of anti fouling, oil change and new filters.

The lift in went fairly smoothly, however, when we got to our berth the amount of water coming from the engine outlet was minimal, inspection of the water pump belt showed it was not correctly fitted. Easy job to slip it back on ….. that said, ┬áupon pressing the start button, nothing not even a click from the solenoid. Usual checks done on batteries, time to look at the manuals. Engine panels removed to gain better access …. Air filter removed, strangely there was no sign of the filter inside, a closer inspection revealed it had disintegrated – great that will have done the world of good for the engine. The manuals showed how to short the engine switch directly and also how to short directly to the starter motor. This is easy to do when you know how, and far easier than our first approach of removing the electronics switch panel – just goes to show you really should read and digest the manuals before diving straight in.

Anyway even a short direct to the starter motor from the heavy duty 12v connection gave no life to the starter motor. The manual did say you should see some arcing, so we had a second go and by making the connection between the screwdriver and connections with the battery switch on … and got quite a nice spark so there was obviously power getting through. ┬áPreviously we had a team approach of make the connection and then switch in the batteries and this was very passive – so doing the sensible thing does not always give the required visual indication.

Good job we carry a spare starter motor ­čÖé ┬áThe big question was – is there enough room to get the dam thing out, quite apart from accessing the bolts.

Thoughts turned to the horror of having to lift the engine out, quite apart from considering how we would get the boat back for a lift out. A good insentive┬áto press on – and luck was with us it came out. And quite unbelievably the new one went it quite well. Made the connections, switched the battery switch on and to our great surprise the engine started … the only problem being we had not pressed the starter button or even turned the ignition key … the sensible approach this time had probably avoided a potentially nasty accident. Dam it must be the wrong starter motor, it turned out that an insulator boot had not been pushed fully home to avoid the connectors of the 12 volt supply and engine switch connection touching – hey ho more experience. Once corrected we were back in business, now just need to touch up some rust, fit the ┬áspare air filer , order replacements and press on with preparations for this years adventure – though it felt like it had already started !