Log Entry 1st August 2021

We departed Grimsby 21st July 2021 5.00am BST ultimately bound for Inverness. Before departing we had to replace both the AIS and outboard – quite a dint to the wallet. On the promise of light easterly winds we hoped to be sailing once crossing the traffic separation scheme. Sadly there was some north in the wind which meant we couldn’t make the desire course. The wind then dropped and we had the engine on tick over carried mainly by the tide. Later in the after noon there was some easterly wind which helped get closer to Flamborough Head. The wind died as we approached Flamborough Head and the sea was lumpy and confused even though we had an offing of 1 nm, carried mainly by the tide we anchored in Filey Bay at around 21.00.

The following morning, 22nd July 2021 at approximately 06.00 BST we departed Filey Bay with only light airs and basically drifted up to Robin Hoods Bay with the engine on tick over, where we anchored at approximately 13.00 BST. Ah yes, we had fitted an electric windlass and it worked superbly – worth drilling those extra holes in the deck. It was a bit lumpy at anchor with the variable winds but safe.

We departed Robin Hoods Bay on the 23rd July 2021 at approximately 07.00 BST, again little or no wind and we drifted up on the tide with the engine on tick-over, anchoring in Runswick Bay at about 10.30 BST. It provided a little more shelter than Robin Hoods Bay, but was still a little lumpy with the light SE winds. We had hopped for the night at anchor, however the wind increased to SE force 3 – 4 and was forecast to back to E NE, so we decided to depart at around 20.30 BST after tea and head either for Hartlepool or Blyth. We were pleased with our decision as the winds increased to a steady force 4 E then NE. This gave us the opportunity to sail across the Tees bay towards Blyth – it was hard to stay awake and the Crew provided a welcome watch so some rest could be taken as it got light.

We were all tied up in Blyth for 09.00 BST along with a safe arrival drink before some proper sleep. Blyth has been a favourite for a number of years, but the lack of showers and toilet facilities makes it less favourable this year. There is still a warm welcome although some members felt a little distant.

We studied the weather daily and it looked like there might be an opportunity to depart Tuesday or Wednesday. On Tuesday morning we discovered we had no electric and the house batteries were nearly dead. Reviewing the logging software we saw that the batteries had only provided 40 amps before being nearly fully discharged. We decided to take advantage of being able to have a delivery to the marina so ordered two more 100 amp batteries, ouch. These did not arrive until the following after-noon so we decided to depart on Thursday bound for Holy Island. We had discovered Eyemouth was closed to visiting Yachts until either the 2nd or 3rd August.

We departed Blyth 29th July 2021 at about 07.00 BST, we had the promise of SW or W winds which should have given us a nice sail, however the winds soon shifted for W to NW. We weren’t sure we would make Holy Island as the tide would turn and then we would struggle to make progress. As we approached the Farn Islands we decided to use the wind to give as much Northly ground as we could as we could then come back on ourselves with the tide and wind. It did work as the strong tide did take us North however it was very lumpy, even though we gave Longstone a good 1.5 nm offing. As we came closer inshore there was still some tide taking us North and no wind so with the engine on tick over we made steady progress and anchored safely in Holy Island at around 16.30 BST. It was beautiful and calm – and gave an excellent nights sleep.

On Friday 30th July 2021, we noticed that we were lying very close to the anchor buoy and that didn’t change when the tide changed. We discovered the chain was fouled, thankfully with the tripping line we were able to get the anchor back onboard and with some maneuvering under engine we were able to free the chain – thank goodness, well the language was more colourful at the time.

On Saturday 31st July 2021 we saw both the other boats anchored in Holy Island had pumped their dinghy’s up and were going ashore. Gordon off one of the boats offered to take us ashore but we declined as this was time to try the new outboard and derrick.

The derrick and outboard worked a treat and we made it ashore by the slipway, a little worried as Gordon had chained his outboard to a cleat on the slipway. We covered ours with the dinghy and kept our fingers crossed whilst ashore.

We enjoyed a rather expensive couple of pints in a pub near the slipway.

The dinghy and engine were still there on our return and we were able to make it safely back ashore.

The new outboard and derrick

Holy Island Harbour with upturned boats in background, used as sheds.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Reload the CAPTCHA codeSpeak the CAPTCHA code