Log Entry 5th August 2021

Departed Holy Island 3rd August around 11.00, slightly later than planned as the bilge alarm had sounded. On the Sunday night the water intake filter had blocked which caused the engine to alarm for overheating. The filter was cleared and that appeared to sort the problem. The overheating had in some way made the exhaust hose a slack fit on the silencer, once the jubilee clip was nipped up the leak appeared to be sorted. Relieved to have sorted the problem the transits were followed out of Holy, there was an impressive tall ship anchored right on the transit line and just outside the main channel which was a bit of a pain. Once we rounded the tall ship the sails were hoisted and with a force 2 – 3 NE wind we were comfortably making 3 knots against the tide.

The Harbour Master at Eyemouth indicated we could probably get in on any state of the neap tide which was reassuring as by 16.30 we were on the leading line for Eyemouth. We had plenty of water and a trawler even waited for us to clear the entrance. The Harbour Master greeted us and directed us to a berth alongside and yellow catamaran, “Sagittarius” , with the instruction to move across to the other side of the harbour in the morning when another visiting yacht left. Not what we wanted to hear, but the following morning we were up for 07.00 waiting for the boat to leave, and when they did we moved across to lay alongside an older blue hull wooden boat. After returning from the laundry the owner of the blue boat arrived and was not pleased to have a visitor lying next to him, he calmed down a little when we advised the berth was allocated by the Harbour Master. In fact he was very chatty and filled us in on some of the local history and politics. When we were back on board we heard the owner complaining to the Harbour Master who came down and very politely asked us to move back on the berth Sagittarius had been on. The wind had us pressed against the blue hull boat but we managed to spring off and get across to the allocated berth with the help of the crew from an orange inflatable work boat. No sooner had we tied up when the skipper of the orange work boat approached us to indicate we would have to move in between two other visitors, a white catamaran and Gordon’s blue boat. He cited the reason being that Sagittarius and another work boat would need the berth. I politely responded by saying I would happily move when the Harbour Master asked me to. I invited the skipper to call the Harbour Master which he mumbled that he would probably be at lunch. The conversation ended by me thanking him for the help from his crew in getting me moored up. We sat a little anxious as to what would happen when the work boats returned, when they did it was uneventful. However, once tied up the Skipper from Sagittarius approached saying we would have to move at 9.00am as he had disabled passengers. Again I politely pointed out we had been allocated the berth by the HM, and I would move when he directed us to do so, the Skipper mumbled he would go and see what his boss had to say, but he did not return.

So this morning we woke a little anxious, but 9.00am passed without event, in fact Sagittarius did not move from where she lay alongside another work boat. However, when having coffee, we think it was the Skipper from a vessel called ‘Oceanic’ asked us to move back towards the other visitors in the berth the orange inflatable work boat had left. On two occasions he confirmed these were the instructions of the HM. The HM was contacted by phone and knew nothing of the instructions so we stayed put and await the next development.

The photograph below shows Eyemouth bay and in the background you can see the significant development work taking place related to servicing a wind farm near by.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Reload the CAPTCHA codeSpeak the CAPTCHA code